10/18/10

270/365


I loved the song "That Summer" before I was even old enough to understand what it was about. And I guess that says something about a great song. It makes you feel something even if all the words don't translate. And it also says something about a great vocalist. They can communicate that emotion in a believable way. Such a way that makes a 10 year old way receive a song about a teenage kid hooking up with a widow woman. So, thank you country music, and thank you Garth Brooks.

Tonight was a special night and instead of putting up a 30-second clip and going for the mysterious, less-is-more delivery, I thought it would be neat (I hate that word, but its appropriate here) to give you non-music business folks a little peek behind the curtain. This is from the Nashville Songwriters Association yearly dinner where every year members vote for the 10 songs they wish they'd written that year - this year's recipient was "The House That Built Me". Duh. They also induct several members into the hall of fame. And Mr. Brooks was there to honor his co-writer and good friend, Pat Alger. I was sitting there a few tables away from him all night remembering the nights I laid in bed listening to the "No Fences" cd on my Walkman. Yes, Walkman.

All in all, it was a fun night and I, once again, was asking myself "How did I get here, again?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment