7/8/10

178/365


4th of July: Pt 2. Ahhhh, the Ponderosa. A certain secret river-front cabin property that belongs to the coolest twins I know, Shiloh & Tanner Vincent.

Today reminded me of something I've known for a long time: I was blessed with a great group of guys to grow up with. You would have to know them for these words to really make sense, but I'll try anyway. I grew up with a group of young men with loved to flirt, but always respected me. A group of young men who had a ton of fun, but always excelled in class. A group of young men who were competitive with me and pushed me to be better at everything, because they were. And a group of young men who, although they taught me how to cuss and talk like a guy, had my back at every turn and never once tried to make an inappropriate advance in a vulnerable moment. And young men who adored their mothers and would hold open a door for mine. Now how many girls can say that? I guess that's a big part of why I still talk to most all of them on the phone to this day. I don't know much about life, but I am smart enough to know that these guys helped shape the woman I am. The way they treated me with respect made me value myself and trust men. They way they challenged me intellectually helped me feel capable of great things. And on and on. I am certain my relationships and personality would look very different had I been faced with a different handful of guys to grow up with.

As I look at the high school in my hometown right now, I see so much disrespect (towards each other, towards adults, towards themselves)...and I look back and think, "wow. I had it made."

1 comment:

  1. Every young woman, and young man for that matter, should read that. Beautiful. Important. True.

    ReplyDelete