8/29/10

223/365


Nevermind that I've watched 4 seasons in less than 3 weeks. Never mind that I wake up thinking I'm living in Dillon, Texas. Nevermind that I get goosebumps on an average of 4-5 times per episode. Nevermind that I cry at least once every 3-4 episodes. Nope, Friday Night Lights is not a show. Friday Night Lights is an alternate reality in which I have been living for some time now. And it has wrecked my world. *hence the absence of blog activity

Thanks to DVR, OnDemand and premium non-cable channels, I have become an avid television watcher in the past 3-4 years. But never, never, NEVER have I been so consumed with a group of characters. I mean, I love my Don Draper (MadMen), my Ari Gold (Entourage), my Larry David (Curb), my Dexter, my Nurse Jackie, my Walter & Jessie (Breaking Bad)......shall I continue? And, if you understood how much I meant that sentence then you would understand how big of a deal this next one is. I love these people more: Jason Street, Matt Saranson, The Taylor's, Buddy Garrity, Lyla Garrity, Tyra, and MOST importantly...TIM RIGGINS. GO #33!

I have always been one to prefer reality to a fantasy, the bitter truth over some dillusional happy ending. And it seems as thought this show captures the raw essence of the heart of America. To say it takes me back to my childhood would be an understatement. More specifically, it consistently and accurately portrays the people of my childhood. The way that Connie Britton talks to her daughter about sex is frightening familiar. The way that Jason Street looks at Lyla Garrity is also frightening familiar. The way Matt Saranson becomes the man of the house is frightening familiar. And the way I feel when Tim Riggins does anything, well, that is frightening familiar :) Basically, I have lived this show.

But what's more is that I have NOT lived for the past 3 weeks because of this show. My social life, my personal life and my career have all suffered. So, I'm happy to announce that I have watched the entire series and am back to reality. Which comes with the current mourning period I am experiencing. I know I sound like a lunatic when I say this, but I miss all my friends. I feel like they've all died. Feel free to send cards and casseroles to our house this week. I'll be ill...


1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you, Jeff and I are now consumed with watching the FNL series from beginning to end! After reading your post, and the fact there is nothing worthwhile on tv to watch at the moment, we started livestreaming the series through Netflix! Love it! When your daughter is married to a Texas high school football and she works along side him in the same building, it is enlightening!!! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete