6/13/10

153/365


I've never done this before, but there's a first time for everything. And once you see day 154, you'll know what I mean. This past week has been a busy blur of days, topped off by none other than my first trip to Bonnaroo. This week's clip is a preview of our musical experience, serenaded by Miss Brandi Carlisle and her audience. I've been spending a lot of time studying how artists take command of not only the stage, but the room. How it is they make their audience feel connected and involved in the event. No matter how subtle or grandiose the tactic, they are always deliberate. In the case of Miss Carlile, she managed to not only get everyone in the room singing, but to do so in 3-part harmony. Just a taste of what we consumed this weekend.

Speaking of artists, I've been seeing a lot of Ron lately (my voice coach, but I prefer to call him my diva instructor). He's turning me into the singer I never knew I could be. I know that sounds soooo cheesy. Believe me, I would have thought so before my time with Ron. But, it is true. Even more than singing, he's giving me nuggets of wisdom along the way. Today (Friday)(day 153), I was telling him about how much I value reality. And that I'm a realist in my approach to all things music. He said, "An artist's livelihood is their imagination." Imagining a song going from your head to tape. Imagining yourself on a huge stage. Imagining yourself accepting an award. Or having your name on the top of the charts. I mean, I've heard all about the power of positive thinking and planning on something coming true. The whole Secret approach to life. But something about him just saying "Nicolle, use your imagination" really resonated with me. Because as creative as I am, I'd admit I don't have a great imagination. I aim to create art that is based on reality. But, moving forward, I am making a conscious and deliberate effort to use my imagination. Because, as Ron put it best, "You're a superstar as soon as you start thinking you are."

1 comment: