6/22/10

164/365


Nine. Years. Old. Kinda freaks me out because when I left for Nash, he has just turned 1. You do the math.

One day during my junior year of high school, mom and I were driving to piano and she just started bawling uncontrollably. She told me she was pregnant and that she didn't know what she was going to do. Claimed she was too old. Riley had just started school, so she had gone back to work for the first time in years just 2 weeks before. It was her 37th bday that day and she was an emotional mess all through her birthday party.

Needless to say, mom is the greatest mother ever. And needless to say, God knew exactly what He was doing. Because just as I was leaving the nest, He was giving her someone who needed her in ways I didn't anymore. So He filled that void. I cannot tell you how many times in the last nine years we've all looked at each other and said how we cannot imagine whatever we're experiencing at the time without him. (Wether it be a holiday or a dinner, a trip in the car or any wedding dance!) Out of all of us, he is the most like mom. He's quirky, engaged in the moment, sensitive, spiritually in tune, wears his heart on his sleeve and is extremely tender-hearted. Like last year when he asked why we don't celebrate the mothers on birthdays "since they did all the work". It's just one comment like that after another. Happy Birthday, Cooper Christian Galyon. You are truly an icon of God's love for this family.

If you'd like to see what a difference a year makes, click HERE.


3 comments:

  1. hi Nicolle - i read about this art exhibit of pianos around NYC and thought you would appreciate:

    http://www.streetpianos.com/nyc2010

    -liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicolle, I could have written the above post about my own life! I am 24 and my brother is 8 so I believe we have the same years about as you and your brother. I remember my mom crying and saying that she was 'too old' (40) and didnt know what to do as well. However, as I left for college and moved to texas, my parents have been blessed with such an overwhelming amount of joy due to the life of my younger brother. thank you so much for such a sweet post :)

    ReplyDelete