6/21/10

163/365


I thought today's footage was a great representation of our family. It says something that I couldn't put into words.

Ok, so lets talk about Father's Day for a minute. My poor dad gets ripped off every year because his birthday is June 19th. And everyone knows what happens...joint gifts, which hardly ever compensate for the two holidays. But here's the thing about my dad. He wants for so little and gives so much. If I had to describe my dad's love for us in one word it would be sacrifice. Quick example: this year for Father's Day he wouldn't let us buy him anything because he said that he bought a membership for the family at the Pine Acres Pool here in Sterling (it's a private swimming pool) and that was his gift to himself. I mean, really? He basically bought US a gift for Father's Day. Typical.

Twenty something years ago he sacrificed alot, to CHOOSE to be my dad. And he has never once waivered in his commitment to me. He has woken up at 5:00 every morning to go work in the coldest of winters and the hottest of summers to put food on the table. And in doing so he put the wind in my wings. Because he has instilled in me the concept of dying to yourself to life a fulfilling life. Too many times the world will tell us that what we want is what we need. But my dad has taught me that a good life sometimes means doing things that are difficult, and it has served me well in my life. I know we don't get to pick our parents and most of the time our parents don't get to pick us. But, I consider myself lucky, because my dad chose me, and I am very proud to be the daughter of a workin' man.

1 comment:

  1. You could not be anymore right about feeling lucky that your dad choose you! I know exactly how you feel. I feel so blessed to be the obe he choose, and try to truly appeciate everything he has sacrificed for me.

    ReplyDelete