6/15/10

156/365


Use it or lose it. Never been so evident as yesterday and today...as I for the first time in a number of years sat down to sight read some sheet music. Since the age of 5, I have been told by every piano teacher that I am extremely good sight-reader. I actually faked my way through most of my piano lessons in grade school because they couldn't tell that I didn't practice. I could just focus and play it note for note off the page. That obviously got more difficult as I progressed as a piano player. Playing had alot more to do with interpretation and technique than it did playing notes. Anyway, back to my point...

I feel like I'm dyslexic.
Or cross-eyed.
Or just flat-out stupid.
It has been really humbling.
And frustrating.

I think I'm back in the groove now. I can almost recognize the old me coming out from hiding. But it's taken a few hours. I am one of the few that DIDN'T quit taking piano lessons in 7th grade when it became uncool and was overshadowed by athletics. And I am so proud to be one of the few people in Nashville that can actually read music. It is truly one of my favorite things to do. Just play and not have the responsibility for making it all come out of thin air. But who would've thunk I'd spend all those years practicing, just to find out that I only need to know 3 chords to get paid to write for a living. Hm.


1 comment:

  1. it sounds like beauty and the beast. which is totally my favorite.

    ReplyDelete