3/8/10

66/365


Maybe it's because my mom has always said that Sandra Bullock reminds her of me. Or maybe it's because she's just flat out awesome. But when she won Best Actress tonight, I was celebratin' like a fool. Here's why I think Sandra Bullock is the bomb:

She is sarcastic. (I am sarcastic.) She can hang with the boys. (I can hang with the boys.) She is a second wife. (I am a second wife.) She is well-spoken. (I am spoken too.) She is not politically correct (I am not politically correct.) She is brunette (My husband wants me to be a brunette.) She is 5'7 (I am only a few inches taller than 5'7".) She has made more than 30 movies. (I have watched more than 30 movies.)

Ok, ok, so we're not exactly alike. But here's why it wouldn't be a bad idea to be like her. Sandra Bullock has the grace to laugh at herself, guts to laugh at others, and the tenderness to cry tears of joy when she speaks of the ones she loves. She has the independence to speak her mind, but the femininity to let her husband wear the pants. She has the grit to work hard to build a career, but the humility to never expect accolades for what she has built. She has the body to wear a slammin Oscar dress, but the security to wear a ponytail on Oprah. I love this woman. And as I embark on a future career that may or may not involve media, I consider her a good study in strong womanhood. I aspire to be all these things.

I think it's easy for me to forget that being feminine comes in many colors. And it's more than just pink. I sometimes struggle with the fact that by nature, I am sarcastic, wanna hang with the guys, wanna wear a ponytail, work my tail off, and speak my mind. Watching Sandra Bullock joke about kissing another woman and then tearing up while speaking of her husband, I was reminded that I need to get back to who I am. If Sandra doesn't need to apologize for who she was made to be, then neither do I.

1 comment:

  1. It's easy to explain this blog to people. I simply say, "This girl named Nicolle posts a video everyday."

    However, a post like this, #66, is a reminder that what I should be telling people is, "This amazing writer named Nicolle...."


    You have a wonderful way with words-- whether they're put to music or otherwise.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete