3/27/10

85/365


A year ago, my friend Kristen had her second baby. Due to a nightmare's list of complications, Kristen died twice in the process of delivering that baby. Literally. I'm not talking about the "I thought I was going to die" stuff women say. I'm here to tell you that she literally and physically flatlined twice. I won't go into too many details because a) they're private and b) I'd probably mess them up anyway. But, the truth is this. Kristen was basically brought back to life the day her daughter was born. And it is one of the most remarkable stories I've ever heard.

Today Regan turned one. And as I watched her blow out the candles with her mommy and open presents with her mommy and dive headfirst into a cake with her mommy standing by, I couldn't help but get a little choked up. I said a silent prayer thanking God that that little girl wasn't celebrating her 1st birthday without her wonderful mom. And then I said a silent prayer thanking God for my mom. I wonder if Regan will ever really comprehend what her mom went through to bring her into this world. They are both miracles to me. And I can't help but wonder if I will ever comprehend what my mother has done for me in my life. From day one to today, she is in so many ways, my miracle. I know that's cheesy, but if you know our story, you'll understand that we almost weren't in each others lives either. (but that's another day...)

So here's to Kristen and Regan. And here's to a God who works miracles. Everyday.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this blog. I look forward to it everyday. Little Regan, a pie from a neighbor, celebrating your husband's song on the radio-- all priceless.

    What I like most about your blog is-- It's not a filmed version of a Hallmark card with today's inspirational message brought to life... Instead it's today's inspirational life brought to film.

    Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)... to say God is good just doesn't cut it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Nic! Thanks for sharing Regan's special day with us! It meant a lot to me that you were there!- KP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said Nicole I am still crying. Thanks for being here and sharing with us.

    -Rick Pridgen

    PS I don't see anything about the courageousness of the Dad or how wonderful he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the mother of one of the girls in the video celebrating Regan's birthday. Beth called and asked me to pray at the time of Kristen's difficult delivery and several of our women's ministry group prayed for God to spare her life.
    What a delight to share not only in the first birthday of Regan, but another year of life for her mom!Happy Birthday, Regan, and many more happy birthdays for your Mom also!
    beth's mom

    ReplyDelete