5/26/10

137/365


It was that point in the conversation where both parties involved knew that all substantial dialogue was over. Dad and I were idly making our obligatory closing statements. The "well...sounds like everybody's doing good" and the "well....I'm getting close to the house". Then dad said:

I gotta let ya go, honey. We just got home and I'm taking Cooper and his friends on a recon mission.

Huh?

And I thought my life was exciting. Upon hearing what was involved in this mission, I began thinking that my night at Burger Up and viewing the American Idol finale on DVR was somewhat underwhelming. My dad defines fun. And he makes a typical Wednesday night in a one-horse town not only exciting, but unique. I used to get annoyed, because certain boys that I was dating or had crushes on would come over to the house to see me. Or. So. I. Thought. Too many times, those boys ended up hanging out in the kitchen eating chips and salsa, listening and laughing, as dad told his famous stories. (While I sat in the bedroom flipping through the channels in an outfit that was more than likely not the first outfit I tried on.) He's a hoot. And he's got a heart of gold. Great combination for an adventurous childhood.

So, lookout, 67579. If you see some 3rd graders and/or a 40-something man dressed in all black with an M16 crawling through you front yard tonight, please don't call Officer Mary. It's just my dad. On a recon mission.


No comments:

Post a Comment