5/29/10

139/365


They are my cousins and they are probably going to win state tomorrow in the 4x100 relay. The first leg and the anchor are Annie & Maggie Galyon, respectively. I've blogged about them before. I am so proud.

We spent all day at the KSHSAA State Track Meet in Wichita. Don't believe me? I have the sunburn (and this video) to prove it. As you can see they won their heat by a landslide, broke their school record, and are the team to beat in finals tomorrow.

On a much less impressive note, I ran track at one point in high school. 800, baby. That was my race. The perfect amount of control and aggression in one event. Frankly, I just wasn't fast enough to sprint and I think they pitied the thought of me enduring the 2-mile, so bam. 4x8. I despised track. I did it "to be a good leader on the volleyball and basketball team". We'd run those dirt roads at 6am and we'd do those interval workouts that were wayyy more intensive that anything the throwers did. I think I even had a piece of athletic tape with "overworked" written on it that I would wear sometimes. (I was and still am mouthy.)

Anyway, back to my point. There we are back at the state track meet today and I was remembering how the state track meet used to be one of the top tier social events back in the day. Fraternizing with all your friends through other small towns, and getting to hang out with your boyfriend in between discus throws. And then those years when you didn't have a boyfriend you'd cruise around in your cut-offs and cheap sunglasses checking out all the boys from the big city. OOOh baby, we were big time...

Almost as big time as I feel right now. Sitting the floor of my parent's bathroom because my little brother stole the bed I was supposed to sleep in tonight, so I came up the other bedroom and there was no 3-pronged-charger for my computer...yada yada yada....day 139? I just owned you. You tried to beat me down with so many obstacles, but I prevailed. Much like my cousins will tomorrow. Gold medal, here they come.

P.S. Hope everyone took note of our family's cheering section. Yeah, we are the real deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment