2/21/10

52/365


Blue skiiiiiiies smilin' at me! Nothin' but blue skies......

When I was a senior in high school I read this book called "Bowling Alone". It's all about social capital. Social capital being your social real estate. I remember thinking that this book was monumental at the time. And whatdya know, almost 8 years later and I'm still referring to it. In this book, it talks about how the fast pace of our world has lent our society to more progress and less socializing. He suggests that due to the internet and other mediums, we can live a life that seems social, but require very little REAL interaction. Now, keep in mind, this was a year and a half before Facebook started. This man basically pulled a Nostradamus. I remember writing my report on this concept. I took a hypothetical man through the course of 1 day and showed how he could "seemingly" live a normal life, but never leave his computer. (Somewhat foreshadowing of some days in my current life.)

The title of the book came from the idea that people don't play intramural sports "for fun" anymore. Do YOU know anyone who plays in a bowling league? I won't go too much into detail, because I think you get the point. But, today, as I was playing kickball for the pure FUN OF IT, I was thinking about how cool it is that I have friends that still value this concept. Whether they know it or not, they value social capital. A group of 20-something kicking a big, red ball and running around some muddy bases doesn't really help any of us progress in our quest to climb any ladder in life EXCEPT......the social capital one. We are all a little richer, a little more fulfilled, a little happier, a little more at peace because we did something for the heck of it today. Thank you for that, you crazy ballers.


1 comment:

  1. My 70-year old boss has been bowling in a 4 person league (him, his wife, his coworker/friend, and his friend's wife) for the past 30+ years, and is still at it today. Since I found this out, I was just amazed! He's not on facebook--and he's in a bowling league. Admirable. In fact, he bowls a better average than I do.

    I agree that we need a little more interaction for "fun." I think I'll go set up a game of 2-on-2 basketball right now :)

    ReplyDelete