1/14/10

14/365


Thank God for roadblocks.

I was rushing into town to meet 2 Clawsons when I came up on what looked like 9/11 at the end of our street. As I got closer I realized that it wasn't nearly as bad a scene as I first thought. But it blocked the whole street just the same. I was irritated and inconvenienced. I wanted to get somewhere and something was in my way.

As I was waiting in the parking lot watching the minutes pass by, an elderly man just a few feet away was watching his vehicle go up in flames. He was the most precious man and for a few minutes my heart completely forgot about why it was I was rushing to get into town. I thought "that poor man is not having a good day." The thought process that followed went something like this- "I wonder what started the fire"...to..."I wonder if that man was scared".....to......"I wonder if this man has money to get a new vehicle"...to...."I wonder if this man has someone to go home to."

How I got all of that from a car fire is beyond me, but I'm glad I did. Because it reminded me that sometimes God puts a little something in our path to slow us down and to force us to think outside of ourselves. I swear I pray for that insight every morning. To be engaged in other's lives throughout the day. 15 minutes later, I'm tangled right back up in my own agenda and there's no telling how many divine appointments I've missed. So tonight I am thankful for roadblocks and saying a little prayer for the anonymous man who is without a car tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Nicolle. It is such a wonderful thing to stop and put yourself in someone else's shoes. Glad you had a "roadblock". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad at your age you can "see" the roadblocks..and then to express them is a gift. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete