1/5/10

5/365


Chase everything, expect nothing.
That's my mode of operation for the music business. With far more emphasis on the 'expect nothing' part. Because odds are, you'll get told no. And the odds are, you'll get told no again. The odds are, you'll lose out to politics. Odds are, your song won't make it. But the cool and quite beautiful thing about life [and the music biz] is that the odds are defied everyday. And somebody says yes. And somebody says yes again. And it's not political. And your song makes it radio.

In the case of RDC, this happened recently. A song he wrote performed by an artist he produced defied the odds. And although this blog is about me (true) and I have nothing to do with the song (even truer), it's totally relevant for me to mention. And here's why...

Being married to a songwriter is a trip. You have more faith in them than anyone, but you have to be completely content with the possibility of nothing else ever happening for him. You are proud of him, but you separate your pride in their work from your love for who they are. You feel their pain when someone pulls the plug, but you also get to celebrate when someone pulls the trigger. And that's what I'm doing today. Celebrating. Found out today that after two weeks on the charts (excluding the Christmas chart freeze), Rodney's song "Jackson Hole" was the Hot Shot Debut this week.

I'm not celebrating his song making it to 53 on the charts (because maybe that's as high as it will go) so much as I'm celebrating him. In a world full of no's, he just keeps chasing it anyway. And someone said yes. And I don't think it was anybody in the music business, if ya know what I mean.

P.S. I love this song. It's about a girl who doesn't know how to ski. Hmmm.... ;)


2 comments:

  1. this is the best blog I think I've ever seen in my whole life..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats to you both! Glad someone said yes.

    ReplyDelete