1/23/10

22/365


Greetings from Granbury, Texas! Yeah, that's right. The Flip Project just went across state lines for the first time this year. The first of many blogs from the road, I'm sure!

Tonight I played a show at a winery outside of Fort Worth. So fun. So intimate. I love playing with a band, but I don't know if I'll ever enjoy anything more than just me and the piano. That's where it started when I was 5. And that's where I'll be, god-willing, when I'm 85. Just me and a piano. I feed off of that psuedo-living room, kick off your shoes, tell stories between songs, get to know everybody by the time the set is over deal. And let me just say. A room full of Texans drinking good wine mixes well with me and my piano. It will be some kind of crime if I'm not back here within 6 months.

Sooooo....on the plane ride down here today, I sat next to these two 42-year-old women. (Nothing wrong with 42. In fact, I've been married to 42 already. Just mentioning it, because they said it out loud. Very loudly.) They thought I was reading my new Donald Miller book. But instead, I was eavesdropping (which wasn't hard to do, because they more than exceeded the indoor voice policy). I apologize in advance for anyone I am about to offend by this next part. These women were the stereotypical Texas debutantes. If debutantes were 42. (God, forgive me here.) Pencil thin eyebrows. Tacky jewelry. Excessive accessories. Big name-brand purses. Dressed like their great-grandpa struck oil at some point. Which of course, he didn't. Because if he had, they would've dropped that in their conversation loud enough for me to hear. Where were those noice-cancelling headphones when I really needed them?

I proceeded to hear them cover the following topics:

-Woman 1's son is was recently chosen to be a part of an elite group of people to go to Washington D.C. But "she was not about to let her kid go to D.C. by himself", so she was going to chaperone. And to shop. (I made the 2nd part up, but still.)

-Woman 2 thinks that her friend Jason impregnated his roommate. They're not dating, but they live together platonically, and "as far as any of us know, he's the dad."

-Woman 1 & 2 think that their friend Julie needs to divorce her husband. He "comes home from work, drops his clothes on the floor, eats supper, then goes out drinking until 1-2 am everyday". But he doesn't want a divorce from her because "he doesn't want to have to pay all that child support and he likes having her cooks his meals and wash his clothes."

(Ok, at this point, I'm almost laughing. It was so funny.)

-Woman 1 & 2 agreed that one of their girlfriends, lets call her Amy, "has really gained alot of weight lately." They're super concerned.

-Woman 1 is apparently a big time runner. But "she's not near as fast as her husband. He can run a 9:30 mile!"

-Woman 2 had to go to the hospital a few weeks ago because she "caught her wedding ring on a rock and almost tore her finger off". That's why she's not wearing her wedding ring anymore.

Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep on the flight. But, it did get me thinking about what I talk to my friends about. Surely I'm not obnoxious like this, am I?

Reading back over paragraph 3 now.......and YES. I am, indeed, as obnoxious as them.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Nicolle! Loved having you and for making the night so much fun for so many people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so close to us! I bet your show was fab. I know those type of women all too well. Lots of em here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This had me cracking up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete