1/9/10

8/365


8 years in Nashville. 0 trips to Rafferty's. But that all changed tonight.

You should know that not even 28 emails in a thread entitled "Friday Night" (yes, I counted), were enough to create a direct initiative for our girls' night tonight. One thing lead to another lead to someone having to put their baby to sleep then to somebody not wanting to eat Mexican then to 45 minutes to kill before our movie lead to a Nissan full mid-twenty-something women squealing "Rafferty's!" AHHHHH!!!

You see, we're the kind of girls that value good wine, a nice ambience and chic decor when we're dining together. But I'm sure the girls would agree with me when I say that none of us would've traded our Rafferty's cosmos for the city's finest Merlot tonight.

I finished "A Million Miles" yesterday. The ending focused on how great stories are made of great scenes. That people remember a specific encounter, something out of the ordinary more than they do the overall story of their life. In December, I asked 100 people what was most memorable about 2009. And in almost every response, I was given a scene. And most were out of the ordinary. I got a lot of "when I was standing on stage with U2...." and "the day I went to New Orleans on a whim...." and "finding out I was having a baby....." All things that don't happen everyday. No one said "that 45th time I ate at the same restaurant I always eat at with my friends". Miller's point was driven home. If you want to have a memorable life, do something worth remembering everyday.

Today it was cocktails at Rafferty's.

1 comment:

  1. and you know what? i actually thought the cosmo was kinda good :)

    ReplyDelete