1/7/10

7/365


Not exactly what I'd call a winter storm, but I'll take it! I had every intention of making the most prized snow angel in all of Wilson County this morning. But one look out my window and my plans were deduced to sifting it thru my fingers and sprinkling it over my own head to simulate actual snowfall. We logged a whole quarter-inch out here (insert sarcastic chuckle). It's so comical to see how overexaggherated the local meteorologists's winter forecasts are, but I'm not gonna lie. I like the hype. And every once in awhile, they're accurate. As was the case in the winter of '03....

It was my freshman year at Belmont. At that point I was still unsure about Nashville, what I was doing and where I was going with my life. It was a very rough first year to say the least. Lots of tears. Lots of holding back tears. Lots of fears. Lots of facing fears. Lots of doubt. But also a lot of love from my new best friends, Betsy Boyer & Lindsey Jones. And when one of the worst winters in Nashville's recent history went down, we made one of my favorite and most significant memories together. To make a long story short, we ended up in a massive snowbattle with guys from the basketball team. I remember laughing harder than I had laughed in awhile. You know, the funny thing about memories is that a lot of time you have no idea you're making one as you're making one. And at the time I was clueless. But, as far as I'm concerned that's one of the best we made all year.

Being my first Nashville winter, I thought snow of that volume was normal. But now I like to think that God sent that storm to give me a little break from my heavy heart. :)


6 comments:

  1. I remember that storm, that was freshman year. Born in Canada, I couldn't fathom why all the kids were so excited about snow. Now I know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that year... Remember the HUGE snowman on the soccer field?! Good times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucas, omg. I totally remember that! good memory dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the snowman! I saw them building it cuz my room in Hail faced the soccer field. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE that memory, too. i have a great picture somewhere of betsy that i should upload. i love you, nic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've lived here in middle TN all of my life, and besides a handful of actual 3-4inch snowfalls, there has only been one major snowstorm/icestorm in the past 20 or so years. That icestorm happened in the early 90's, and everything was coated in a thick layer of ice for 2 1/2 weeks solid. So, that's why I was joking about "Happy Feet"...Back in the day, it'd snow enough to make a decent sized snowman, but now, you literally do have to close your eyes and cherish every snowflake in this part of TN.

    ReplyDelete